Thursday, April 26, 2012

Vision and Mission Statements: Fluff or Critical?


I've sensed that quite a few managers and leaders think vision and missions statements are "fluffy' nice to haves.  Quite the opposite. They are essential...AFTER you've got your blocking and tackling down pat.


I am always stunned when I read about the courage Lou Gerstner demonstrated at his first press conference after taking over at IBM--when he offered NO vision statement.

In his book Who Says Elephants Can't Dance? Gerstner said to a press conference in July 1993, after his first 100 days, ‘There’s been a  lot of speculation as to when I’m going to deliver a vision of IBM, and what I’d like to say to all of you is that the last thing IBM needs right now is a vision [. . . ] What IBM needs right now is a series of very tough-minded, market driven, highly effective strategies for each of its businesses – strategies that deliver performance in the marketplace and shareholder value.'


Gerstner eventually gave IBM it's vision, but not after getting the boat upright in the water, heading "north" under full sail, and making profits.


So, will a vision help do the above?  Most likely not.  You have got to run and manage a viable business first.


But then you must develop a vision (where you want to go) and mission (why your company exists).  Once created (with a great deal of care and thought), the statements are organizing principles around which all employees will operate.  The statements should be some clear and focused--that everyone from the janitor to the CEO can understand them, and what their individual role is in accomplishing them.


Meaningful, well-crafted vision and mission statements are essential to organizing employees around the goals of the company--and helping decision points along the way.


Create them, communicate them, and use them.

No comments: